Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Not a Good Buy

I don’t normally talk about my shopping experiences – unless I pick up a fabulous pair of shoes – but our shopping trip last night to get our new TV was so unbelievably bad, I have to say something. Especially in light of Peter Shankman’s (one of my favorite media experts and bloggers) new venture into the world of customer service consultancy. Believe me when I tell you, Best Buy could use some lessons from Shankman’s new company!

Hud and I had done our homework and decided the TV we wanted was to be found at our local Best Buy – so off we went . . . at about 6:00 pm on a Tuesday evening. We walked in, walked straight to the department we needed and proceeded to wait for help.

Hud, waiting patiently


Now, keep in mind, the television we want is right there on the floor. Seven or eight of them in boxes, ready to go. All we need is someone to ring up our purchases. But there is no one available to do that. We see lots of people walking around, stocking shelves.



Putting up merchandise.


Never speaking to us.


Never offering to help us.


Completely ignoring us.


But the two men who were working in the TV area were with customers, so we waited.


And waited.

And waited.

For 14 minutes and 13 seconds.

Yes, I timed it.

Now, 14:13 may not seem like a long time, but when you see all these people walking around NOT helping customers, while you’re standing there – obviously needing help – 14:13 is a VERY LONG TIME.

I will give credit to the two men working in the TV department, they did apologize for the amount of time we were having to wait. But no one else was ever called over to help and we had to wait on one of them to be available to help us.

At long last, one of them did manage to pull himself away, we told him what we wanted and our transaction took all of three minutes. He then told us to pull our car to the front of the building and someone would bring the TV out and load it into the car.

Ha, ha, ha!

Want to guess how long we waited in front of the building? Did they hustle right out there to make up for our incredibly long wait?

Well, you can see in this photo, a woman is having a TV loaded into her car. She was two people behind us in line to be waited on when we were waiting inside the store.



Our TV came out after that. After we had waited 11 minutes and 24 seconds. Outside. In August. In North Carolina. It’s not exactly cool in North Carolina in August at 6:30 in the evening.

And here’s the thing. At no time were Hud and I anything but pleasant and polite to any of the employees at Best Buy. I’m sure the lack of attention we received comes from the top – from upper management – whether it’s the store management or corporate management. So we were very careful to treat the employees the way we would have wanted to be treated. But I also made very sure to document every bit of what happened to report back here.


So what’s up Best Buy? I’m starting to understand why you’ve had the financial issues you’ve been having. Going forward, I’ll either go somewhere else (my preference) or do my shopping online (Hud’s vote). 

5 comments:

  1. How frustrating! Let me guess, they also tried to sell you all types of extended warranties and a credit card.

    But wait, maybe and you Hud were experiencing 14 minutes of the invisibility superpower! I normally only encounter that in restaurants, but maybe you two should try it out somewhere else. Wouldn't it be cool to be invisible if you got to control where it happened?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, we got the hard sell on the extended warranty, etc.

    I completely forgot about my invisibility superpowers - how silly of me?!?! We've known for a long time that our cars have a cloaking device on them - we can't figure out how to turn it off and make the car VISIBLE to other drivers. I should have remembered it for myself. If I hadn't been so tired of treadmill running without the TV, I would have walked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know that store. it has issues.

    interestingly, our TV died last week and i'm going through the process of selecting one now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen your posts in a while. I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy!

      Thanks so much for checking in! You're right - it's been a long time . . . and the reasons have been really great ones. On the home front, our older son got married about 10 days ago, so I've been spending the last few months getting ready for a rehearsal dinner and wedding that was taking place four hours from where we live. It was all lovely and wonderful and turned out better than I could ever have dreamed, but it took lots of planning and shopping and involved more details than I was prepared for.

      On the work front, I wrote a Federal Grant that we had funded and made possible for my employer to hire six additional people. That was exceptionally good because our business has really suffered in this economy and, what was going to have to be a 50 person lay off last week, only had to be a 25 person lay off - thanks in part to the grant I wrote. That, of course, has been gratifying, but having a lay off looming and then gearing up for putting this grant into motion has been nerve wracking!! I haven't arrived or left work in daylight once this week!

      All that to say . . . my life has been crazy lately! I haven't had time to go grocery shopping or anything for myself - much less do any blog writing. But sadly, I also seem to have lost the "fire" for the writing, as well. I don't know if it's because I do so much writing at work or because I feel as though I don't have anything to say - but I just don't seem to feel it.

      So, that's where I am. I'm running almost every day - in fact, I have a 5K race on Saturday and I've been diligently preparing for it. All is well at home and at work - and I guess I either have writer's block or I've decided blog writing isn't for me right now. Either way . . . it's not a priority. Hope that all makes sense and that you're doing well and enjoying your fall. Take care!

      Delete

So, what do you think? It's your turn to talk! Spread the love around and share your thoughts with me right here!