Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Moments That Open Your Whole Life

I just read a quote that made me stop and do some soul searching. What do you think?

“ . . some moment happens in your life that you say yes right up to the roots of your hair, that makes it worth having been born just to have happen. Laughing with somebody till the tears run down your cheeks. Waking up to the first snow. Being in bed with somebody you love… whether you thank God for such a moment or thank your lucky stars, it is a moment that is trying to open up your whole life. If you turn your back on such a moment and hurry along to business as usual, it may lose you the ball game. If you throw your arms around such a moment and hug it like crazy, it may save your soul.” – Frederick Buechner

                                       Pepper with her ball in the snow - perfect happiness!

I hope I'm living my life in such a way that I remember to thank God for all the wonderful moments . . . but am I? Do I remember to throw my arms around the moments that matter and hug them like crazy? When I have time . . . when I'm not stressed out . . . when it's not too busy around here.

That's one thing about Pepper. Every time I throw the ball for her, it's as though it's the first time. When it's time to eat, she gets as excited as if she were going to be fed filet mignon. And let someone say the word "walk!" If I jumped out of my skin with anticipation over a walk the way she does, I would probably be a size zero. Pepper definitely lives "in the moment" and embraces every good thing that comes her way.

                                                  Pepper wants the ball thrown - again!!

Maybe I need to adopt a "Pepper" attitude toward my life - more enthusiasm for the good things that come my way, more excitement for what could be considered "every day." As Buechner said, throw my arms around those moments and hug them like crazy. Who knows what could happen? I may end up needing a new wardrobe!!

1 comment:

  1. Pepper definitely has the right attitude about life. It's all good. People seem to skip over the little things as routine, and take pleasure only in the big rewards. Learning to embrace the moment, to love and appreciate the small joys, is our greatest challenge. I really like this post. It's a good reminder on a gray Monday morning...

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think? It's your turn to talk! Spread the love around and share your thoughts with me right here!